Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Art of Getting By


Year: 2011
Director: Gavin Weisen
Starring: Freddie Highmore, Emma Roberts, Michael Angarano

The Art of Getting By was a speck of a movie that left me watching (and enjoying) actors that I love while vaguely relating to the plot. I've always been suckered into a film that involves  actors who I follow from project to project. In this film, those actors were Emma Roberts and Michael Angarano. While I respect Highmore's child work, his more mature performance don't really do it for me. Emma Roberts played the role of a young, city-dweller socialite very well. She encompassed the youth of today by portraying her as mature as you'd expect  an 18 year old to be. My other favorite actor was Michael Angarano who I've watched for a long time now and who I really like. His part was on the small side, but the way he played a young artist still stuck in that post-high school haze was interesting.

Overall the film was not very predictable, but that's because there was nothing to predict. I respected the storyline and the dialogue, but it was the actors delivering the lines that made it for me. It was definitely one of those movies where I found myself liking what Emma Roberts was saying just because she was saying it. The actors made this move which isn't always a bad thing.

Score: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment