Wednesday, January 4, 2012

One Day


Year: 2011
Director: Lone Scherfig
Starring: Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess

One Day is not your typical romance movie in my opinion. It introduces themes that everyone thinks or wishes or have experienced. This theme is lost and longing love. Many movies nowadays I feel try and hit this idea on the head but many miss the target and end up creating fake and in general just bad movies. However, I really found something in One Day.


It may be my fondness for pseudo British filmography or perhaps any mild sense of similarity to the subject matter. I do think the stylistic approaches employed in the movie help but first if you don't know the plot of One Day let me first give a brief overview. Anne Hathaway's character Emma Morly and Jim Sturgess' character Dexter Mayhew almost get together one night after they both graduate from University. Since that day they have become friends and the rest of the movie follows both of their lives and their relationships with each other and with their own families and such. Now what I mean by I liked the stylistic approaches, basically is the whole idea of seeing them in quick snap shot snippets since that one day up until current time in 2011.



This sped up time dynamic really gives an opportunity for the actors involved to showcase their skills and develop a character as you really  have to change, albeit subtly, one's character from year to year (and of course any looks). It also means that the story is instantly much grander than any other film which may only cover an event over a few days. This covers daily events over twenty plus years! And this gives the film opportunity, and I believe it takes the advantage, of really creating a spectacular story.


Now I know that this movie did not get the best of ratings from my colleagues who nitpicked over small things such as Hathaway's fake accent but if you look past some of the trivial things and focus on the actual story at hand I find it to be a quite good representation of a modern romance film.  


Score: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment